Thursday, October 9, 2008

BALANCE is the key!

In reply to the comment on “Open-mindedness or to drop out”.

Thank for your advice. Appreciate that. However, what I meant for all this while is that apart from enhancing our grasp of Chinese language, which should not be a problem for Chinese-educated people, we should meanwhile learn to open our arms to receive new things from the world outside, including new languages and new cultures though they might sometimes seem to be contradicting with our own. (Receive doesn't mean accept in totality).

Experience told me that if we are too persisting in CHINESE alone, we'll then be struggling in this multiracial country, not because of the smattering of other languages but mostly it is due to the misunderstanding arising out from the different cultures and backgrounds, as we can't mingle well with the rest.

That's my intent to urge my Chinese-educated friends to get ready, or even to take proactive steps to get ourselves accustomed to new cultures, including, at the very least, those relating to English and Malays. And definitely it's of NO harm- as I mentioned earlier- it's not a zero sum game that when your understanding to Malay cultures is getting better, your love and faith towards Chinese will deteriorate.

To understand the ideas I canvassed better, it's advised that you should read my three previous blogs written in Chinese language, which are “文化冲击”,“太CHINESE了!”and “谢谢你,中文”。 "文化冲击”described how my life was, being too Chinese-oriented, in the circle of life in Malaysia (though the descriptions might be a bit exaggerated.)

In fact my love to CHINESE is immortal. This can be seen in two other blogs named “太CHINESE了!” (which expressed my disappointment towards those who both abhors and despises Chinese language and the likes) and “谢谢你,中文” (as depicting how my loves to Chinese was formed). After all Mandarin or Chinese is my mother tongue- the language which I used to speak, listen and write from the very moment I was born to this world.

But again, my emphasis is: BALANCE is the key!

The taste of the food is in its spices and the spice of life is in its VARIETY.

No comments: