Tuesday, November 25, 2008

MY FIRST’ STAMP COLLECTION

Stamp is a mini pictorial memory describing the pass events.
Apart from a mere stamp collection, I personally prefer to collect First Day Cover (FDC) which is issued and can only be purchased, as the name suggests, at the very first day of its issuance; and this is no doubt its precious part vis-à-vis a stamp.

MY FIRST’ 1st DAY COVER

This was my first 1st Day Cover presented by father in 1994. Since then it has aroused my interest on stamp-collecting.
Tunku Abdul Rahman is not only our Malaysian First Prime Minister; his memorial collection was also MY FIRST’ ever FDC.

MY FIRST’ STAMP ALBUM

My first stamp album in 1994.

This is a unique album for its six various series of stamps from six ASEAN countries: Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore and Thailand inside one mini album.

MY FIRST’ SINGAPORE 1st DAY COVER

It was the RAT- My first Singapore’s FDC.

Again this was presented by my Dad over my strong request. In fact it was extravagant to spend on this white elephant and yet, fortunately, Dad was willing to get me this ‘rat’ FDC.

MY FIRST’ PEWTER & NIOBIUM 1st DAY COVER

This is a niobium FDC: another sumptuous FDC as one piece of it cost more than RM100. 98’s economy crisis however did not prevent Dad from gettting me this special series though eventually he had got to burn the candles at both ends.

This is a pewter FDC cost around RM20 (in 1998).

MY FIRST’ COMMONWEALTH 1st DAY COVER

This was my first collection of Commonwealth Games in 1998. Special thanks to my elder sister who had brought home such a special edition.

MY FIRST’ HK 1st DAY COVER

Neither was it given by my father nor elder sister, it was in fact presented by my ex-housemate gratuitously when I was in Form 6. Without hers it was hardly in my collection any of these overseas stamps. This was my first HK’s collection.


MY FIRST TAIWAN 1st DAY COVER

Ten years after I first received the Commonwealth collection, this was another marvelous piece of FDC brought by my elder sister from Taiwan: The Legend of Eight Immortals Crossing the Sea.

MY FIRST’ 1ST DAY COVER FROM POS OFFICE (HEADQUARTER)

Having queued up for more than 45 minutes in front of the Pejabat Besar Pos Malaysia, eventually this was my first collection acquired personally from the headquarter on Merdeka Day (31st August) itself. It was indeed worthwhile for the great exposure to meet up with a flock of profesional stamp enthusiatics therein: an eye-opener.

No comments: